Do I have a hearing loss?
Symptoms of a hearing loss include:
- Listening to the TV or radio at a higher volume.
- Difficulty hearing on the phone.
- Having to ask others to repeat what they say or speak louder.
- Difficulty understanding others in conversation, especially with more than one person speaking or in a noisy environment.
- Being able to hear others speak, but not understand everything that was said.
- A general “muffled” sense to sound.
- Avoidance of social situations, withdrawal, and depression.
The audiologist or the physician has recommended hearing aids, what next?
Once a hearing loss is discovered, it becomes more important to make hearing health care a priority. Your audiologist can guide you in the process of treating hearing loss with hearing aids, and monitoring and protecting your hearing. She will recommend an evaluation to determine listening needs, and to provide a demonstration of the latest technology in hearing aids in the style that best fits your hearing loss.
I am used to my hearing loss, and it doesn’t affect me all that much. Should I wait to use hearing aids?
No. The hearing system can be compared to a muscle that needs to be exercised. Without proper stimulation the auditory nerve and hearing centers of the brain begin to decline. Proper amplification should be used as soon as a hearing loss is discovered to keep the auditory system active and healthy, and prevent further declines in understanding speech.
What is a hearing aid and what does it do?
A hearing aid is a small sound amplifier that prescriptively increases volume in the needed areas where hearing has declined. Generally, hearing aids are designed to reduce background noise and enhance speech. Hearing aids come in a variety technology levels, styles, and colors. Your audiologist will help you decide which options are best for you.
Other services provided:
- Tinnitus masking devices.
- Assistive listening devices.
- Bluetooth compatible devices.
- Custom ear plugs for musicians.
- Custom ear plugs for work or play.
- Custom swim plugs.